I’ve been a yoga teacher since 2009 and I love it. But I truly love my students. The friendships and relationships I’ve created over the years are treasures to me. This is for all my students over the years.
- No, I don’t do yoga every day. GASP! I really, really wish I woke up early did some poses to open up my body and then meditate but, life takes over and….I like my sleep.
- Yes….I do eat meat, eat junk food and drink alcohol. I know! Another GASP!
- I don’t tell you when I’m going to have a substitute for my classes for a reason. I want you to try other teachers! When you see a sub on the schedule or when you walk into the studio – DON’T PANIC! Practice your yogic breathing, take a deep breath. It’s going to be ok. I promise.
- Don’t feel guilty about missing class. This isn’t church. Even if you haven’t been to class in 2 weeks, 2 months or 2 years, I will still greet you with a big smile, maybe a hug and be so happy to see you there.
- Don’t put me on a pedestal like a yoga master or guru. I’m human. I’m still learning and growing just like you.
- So many people say they should come to a class and all I can say is – YES! Yes you should! The world would be a much better place if people practiced yoga. Give it a try! “I wish I didn’t come to this yoga class.” Said no one ever. If you try my classes and didn’t like it, try a different style or teacher. You will know when it clicks for you.
- If you say “I just can’t sit still”. You need yoga the most. I’m completely guilty of this too but yoga has made me very aware of those moments and has helped me.
- Don’t feel bad or like you have to leave if you are the only one at class. Take advantage of it! You are getting a private lesson for a fraction of the price. Ask questions, ask for help on something, just enjoy!
- I love when I see my students have that “yoga glow”. It is beautiful and makes me so happy. You know what I’m talking about, you see it too.
- The yoga pose, flexibility, and headstands, though they are fun, they aren’t the goal of yoga. I like this quote by Rachel Brathen – “The goal is to create space where you were once stuck. To unveil the layers of protection you’ve built around your heart. To appreciate your body and become aware of the mind and the noise it creates. To make peace with who you are. The goal is to LOVE YOU. Come to your yoga mat to feel, not to accomplish. Shift your focus and your heart will grow.”
Most of all, thank you, thank you for all the years of rolling your mat out with me and trusting me to help you on your yoga journey. It makes my heart swell when I watch my students grow in so many ways ~ physically and mentally. It is so beautiful to watch! Just remember, it is YOU who created this beauty.